Translate

11 giugno 2005

Interview With Bruno Bethlam..


quantum_bows, originally uploaded by lzp.

..after winning the Brazilian Nationals in 2005

At this address: http://www.quantumsails.com/products/onedesign/c.asp?PLID=4&CID=32
you'll find other two interesting news:
-How come insanity trying to mesaure your snipe mast-step;
-Snipe Rope Rigging Lengths and dia, to make your snipe similar as possibile to a real Persson's snipe!

Enjoy!



-courtesy of www.quantumsail.com-


Quantum: Why are you sailing so fast lately?

Bruno, I don’t know exactly. But I think that training and good sails are important. All other small details can make difference.

 Q What sails are you using?
Bruno, Quantum Brazil

Q Who designed these? Are they the standard sails?
Bruno, Blu did. Yes, they are the same. [Blu's comment: the jib is a 20 year old design from our loft. I have no credits on that]

Q Why do some Brazilian’s raise their jib up off the deck when the wind gets stronger?

Bruno, Actually, I’ve never noticed that. Perhaps they want to flatten the bottom of the sail.

Q How do you move your jib lead through the wind range?
Bruno, I have some marks on my spreader. With more wind the leech is almost at the end of the spreader. The inner limit is 15cm inside.

Q We noticed that the South Americans don't cleat their jib as often as US and European sailors. Why? How do you play both sheets upwind in puffs and waves.

Bruno, It is not necessary to cleat the jib or the main. Why do you cleat it? I think it easier to play the jib if you don’t have it cleated. I ease the main in puffs to keep the boat flat. I play the jib less. I have a fast set up and another for pinching.

Q They say you foot more and point less than any other snipe sailors.
Bruno, I don’t agree with that!!! I can sail high or faster working the space I have in the moment.

Q Do you think it is better to sit aft and flat or forward and heeled upwind?
Bruno, Flat.

Q How should someone play their body weight over waves upwind?
Bruno, It is quite hard to explain. It is important to keep the pressure. Never let the boat hell to windward.

 Q What crew weight are you sailing at?
Bruno, 140kg  [308 pounds]

 

Q How do you tune your rig?
Bruno, Rake 6.58m – Tension is 20 in the black tension gauge. Spread 16 1/2” and 75cm tip to tip.

Q Which mast?
Bruno, Sdwinter standard

Q Where is your mast butt?
Bruno, 60”

 Q How do you change your shrouds and tension for conditions?
Bruno, I just try to keep the same tension in all condition. In light wind I use less tension.

Q How do you change your spreaders for wind wave conditions?
Bruno, I open it with more wind and waves.

 Q Downwind, some people set up with tight leeches and other loose leeches to catch the waves. What do you feel is better?
Bruno, I think downwind is the easiest leg to move forward in the fleet and it is also most import leg. I prefer loose leech to catch the waves.

Q Where is your mast behind neutral on the run?
Bruno, 1” behind neutral

Q Do you use spreader stops?
Bruno, Yes, I do.

Q Have you tried setting up super loose upwind in order to get your rig
forward o the run down wind?
Bruno, Yes, I did. Downwind it really makes the boat faster. But it is very bad upwind.

Q What are some of the most ridiculous things you have tried on the snipe?
Bruno, I have tried to use the centerboard in the other way. Ivan Pimentel has more funny experiments than anyone.

Q What other sailing are you doing? What is your practice schedule like?
Bruno, I sail 470. I sail 6 or 7 days a week (most of the time in 470).

Q What was your practice schedule like before you won the Pan AM games?
Bruno, It was the same normal schedule, but most of the time in a Snipe instead of 470.

Q What hull are you using, and how is it different from other brands of snipe under the water?
Bruno, Diemer Snipe, built in Brazil. This boat is quite similar to person under the water with more V in the transom.

George Szabo
Ricardo de Queiroz Lobato

Nessun commento: